Thursday, September 12, 2013

Science Notebook FREEBIE and TMNT

So I LOVE Science Notebooks, and have been working on them for about the last 5 years. In fact last year
I headed off to the NSTA (National Science Teachers Association) conference in San Antonio, TX.  I had gone the year before in Indianapolis, and had loved it so much that I decided not only did I want to go again, but I also wanted to see if I could present.... So I submitted my idea in the spring and forgot all about it.  That was until last October when I got an email saying "Oh Hey.. remember that whole Science Notebook thing.. yeah we would LOVE for you to come do it here in Texas" So, maybe it wasn't exactly like that, but that's how I remember it.

5lb. Cinnamon Roll.. WHAT!
Anyway, after some hectic time with our local school board and what not I was approved to go.  I was lucky enough that the school paid for my registration, and I got a mommy scholarship (where in, my mom helped to fly me there.  Thanks Mom!).  Well, off I went for 4 days to learn, listen, and present about something I really have grown to enjoy.  I know that a lot of people out there have great ideas, and I am not about to say that all of the things I have come up with are my own, but I figure why reinvent the wheel, might as well just twerk tweak it!

And I got to meet Astronaut Joe Acaba!
Well, we are on are way this last week with our Notebooks.  So I thought I would post some of the things I use to get us started.  The first thing I always do is get the table of contents, the rubric, and the cover done. I made my table of contents using the right side/left side idea, but it can also be done as an input/output idea.  I like to try and keep all my teacher stuff on one side.  It helps the kids too.  So I give notes, labs, vocab, etc. and I do it all on the right side.  They do labs, drawings, diagrams, reflections, and keep it on the left side.  Different folks that I have talked to do it different ways, but different strokes, for different folks.

 I also love an idea I found over at middleschoolscience.com.  It's a vocab cut n paste.  It's great way to have them practice their vocab words, or a way for a to have the kids work together when words get introduced.  So I thought I'd share a couple of those that I have handy so you can get started too.  If you have questions, I would be more than happy to try and help :)





And on a totally different note, my baby turns 6 next week... look at his totally cute invites I made!



No comments:

Post a Comment